What are Skin Tags?
Skin tags, also known as acrochordons, are small, benign growths that can appear on the skin. They are most commonly found in areas where skin rubs against skin, such as the neck, armpits, and groin. While skin tags are not harmful, they can be unsightly and may cause discomfort or irritation. If you have a skin tag that you would like to remove, visiting an urgent care center can be a safe and effective option.
Methods for Removing Skin Tags
If you’re looking for a quick and efficient way to remove skin tags, an urgent care center may be a good option. Here are some of the most common methods used in an urgent care setting:
- Cryotherapy: This is a process where the skin tag is frozen with liquid nitrogen. This method is quick and usually effective, but it can cause some discomfort and may result in temporary redness and swelling.
- Surgical excision: This is a more invasive procedure in which the skin tag is cut off using a scalpel or scissors. This method is usually effective, but it may leave a small scar.
- Electrosurgery: This is a method in which a high-frequency electrical current is used to remove the skin tag. This method is usually quick and effective, but it can cause some discomfort and may result in temporary redness and swelling.
It is important to note that some skin tags may be more stubborn and may require more than one treatment to remove. Additionally, if you are unsure about the diagnosis of a growth, it is best to consult a healthcare professional before attempting to remove it yourself to rule out more serious health conditions such as skin cancer.
Skin Tag Removal Recovery
Whichever method is chosen, patients can expect some discomfort or pain after the procedure, and there may be a small amount of bleeding. The healthcare professional will provide appropriate aftercare instructions and advise the patient on how to care for the area after the procedure.
It’s also worth noting that if you have a skin tag that is causing discomfort or irritation, or if you are concerned about its appearance, it’s important to have it evaluated by a healthcare professional. Some skin conditions can be mistaken for skin tags and may require different treatment.
Cost of Skin Tag Removal
The cost of skin tag removal at an urgent care center will depend on if you have and want to use your insurance coverage or pay self-pay for the service. Some insurance plans will cover the cost of the procedure, while others may not. If you have insurance, you should contact your insurance provider to find out if skin tag removal is covered and what your cost would be.
Potential Out-of-Pocket Expenses
Even if you have insurance, there may be some out-of-pocket expenses associated with skin tag removal at an urgent care center. These expenses can include:
- Copay or co-insurance: This is a fee you will be required to pay when you receive treatment. Your co-pay or co-insurance will depend on your insurance plan and will usually be a percentage of the total cost of the procedure.
- Deductible: This is the amount you need to pay before your insurance will begin to cover the cost of treatment.
- Non-covered services: Some insurance plans may not cover the full cost of skin tag removal, which means you will be responsible for paying the remaining balance.
Cost of Procedure without Insurance
If you do not have insurance, the cost of skin tag removal at an urgent care center can range from $300 to $500 or more, depending on the method used and the location of the center. AfterOurs Urgent Care charges $230 regardless of the removal method determined to be the best for your situation. We can also only collect half of the cost on the date of removal and schedule the remaining half, plus a $15 additional cost, to come off a major debit or credit card in 30 days.
Got Skin Tags? Visit an AfterOurs Urgent Care location today
If you have skin tags and you want them safely removed, we’re here to help. You can schedule an appointment or simply walk into your nearest AfterOurs Urgent Care location to receive the help you deserve today!